January 24, 2013

Awesome Homemade Play Dough!


 

Man - o - Man do we love this stuff!!!


We go to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry)as often as possiable because we have a membership, and we always end up playing with the play dough they have there. Its soft, moist, lasts forever and is really not salty. I dont know about you, but when I'm done playing with store bought playdough, my hands are always really dry and need to be washed. But not with this stuff! I found the recipe on OMSI's website HERE. All of these ingredients you should be able to find in your kitchen! OMSI's version calls for using the microwave. I really wanted to make it on the stove, so I found a recipe here with the same ingredients! Here is a step by step video on how to make this!
Play Dough Recipe:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoon cream of tartar (find it in the spice section)
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 cup water
  • food coloring
  • Glitter (optional)
  • Scents (optional) 
I forgot to take pictures while I was actually cooking it, but you will know when a "ball" forms. 

Directions:
  • Mix first 4 ingredients in a pan. Add water and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 – 5 minutes.
  •  Dough will become difficult to stir and form a “clump”. 
  •  Remove from stove and knead for 5 minutes–add food coloring during kneading process. 
  • Play dough will keep for a long time stored in a covered plastic container or plastic sandwich bag.
 I also added a bit of leftover glitter and peppermint and vanilla scents!

 Here are the colors we made!





We LOVE IT!
 I put the green in a sandwich zip lock so Baby Bear could play too! He really enjoyed squishing and slobbering all over it!




 Here are a few pictures of Sister Bear playing with our Dough!




 Have you ever tried this recipe? If so what did you think of it? Is it your new favorite? I would love to hear about it!
If your unsure on how easy it is to make this, check out this step by step video! HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment