December 6, 2012

Homemade Dinner Rolls

I love making homemade dinner rolls because it makes my house smell WONDERFUL! Yum yum yum! I bought my self a bread machine from the last consignment sale I went to ( here is the link!) for $15! What a steal! It was only used once and is a dual loaf machine and I love love love it!

I don't always have time to make fresh dinner rolls, who does? So what I do is make a batch or two on a day I know I will be home.  What ever we don't eat that night at dinner I will wrap in foil, put in a freezer zip lock, label, and put in the freezer. They warm up just fine and still smell amazing!

Here is my dough right our of the bread machine

The recipe says you need to let the dough "rest" for 10 minutes. I don't always let it rest and haven't really seen a difference. So do what ever you have time for.

Divide dough up into how ever many rolls you want
I make a ball with the dough and then just start dividing the dough up evenly until I have as many rolls as I want. Generally 24 I think. Remember, they will rise, so you dough balls don't need to be huge! ( Unless you want huge rolls that is lol)

 
Put them on the pan
 
Cover your baking sheet with foil and then coat it with Crisco shortening. I have found the best way to do this is just use your fingers. Messy I know, but your hands will wash. There are many different ways you could do this; no shortening, Pam, butter etc. Its up to you. I personally really like how easy the rolls come off the foil using shortening. Also it leaves the bottoms golden brown and I can reuse the foil! That's always a plus!

Cover and let rise

 I cover my rolls with a clean kitchen towel. If my dough is sticky, I just sprinkle my dough balls with flour or else they will stick to my towel as they rise. That is a mess to clean up and a pain to try and save the rolls. Not that I am speaking from experience. :-) I set my oven to warm for about 5 minutes, turn it off, then put my rolls in for how ever long they need to rise. 30-40 minutes is what the recipes calls for, but it depends on how warm it is, your yeast and many other things. Another way to let them rise is to bring to a boil a pot of water. Put that pot on the lower shelf of your oven, then put your pan of rising rolls on the upper shelf. Do what ever works for you!

Once they have risen, bake at 375 o for 12-15 minutes. Right about now is when your house starts to smell super duper yummy! Let them cool just a bit before eating! 

SO YUMMY!

Bake them, cool them, and enjoy!


Here is the original recipe and the link. I pretty much follow this and they turn out amazing every time.
  • PREP TIME 20 Min
  • TOTAL TIME 2 Hr 55 Min
  • SERVINGS 15

Ingredients: 

1 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
3 1/4 cups Gold Medal® Better for Bread™ flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons bread machine or active dry yeast

Butter or margarine, melted, if desired

Directions:

  • 1 Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except melted butter in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use delay cyc
  • pan, using lightly floured hands. Cover and let rest 10 minutes on lightly floured surface.
  • 3 Grease large cookie sheet
  • le.
  • 2 Remove dough from with shortening. Divide dough into 15 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place 30 to 40 minutes or until double. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)
  • 4 Heat oven to 375°F. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter. Serve warm, or cool on wire rack.

Expert Tips


If you like rolls that are golden brown on top but have soft sides, place the rolls close together on the cookie sheet so they will rise and bake together.
After you have shaped the dough into rolls and placed them on the cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap. You can refrigerate them 4 hours up to 48 hours. Before baking, remove rolls from the refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place about 2 hours or until double. Bake the rolls as directed.


Please let me know if you try these and what you think!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment